Friday, September 24, 2010

Old Sydney Town



I love Sydney! I didn't always feel this way... Don't get me wrong. It was always exciting coming into the city from the Hills in the past, but I had no sense of connection with this precinct. Over the last 8-10 years, I've been visiting the city more and more. I love so much of the architecture here. And over the last 5 years, I've wanted to photograph the city more and more. I love the contrast between old and new and the meshing of the two. Take, for example, Sydney Hospital, surrounded by all the modern architecture of the high-rise office blocks. So wrong and yet so right. This building stands confidently, impressive in it's own right. Despite being dwarfed by the high rise buildings, it survives, and thrives in it's position on Macquarie Street, opposite Martin Place on one side and the Domain on the other side. Here is Laura, in the Hospital Cafe, having a brief rest on her second last day before leaving Australian soil (for her big adventure in Japan).
Since doing more art/ sketching days in the city, I look at everything through the eyes of a wanna-be artist/ photographer... getting the balance right between old and new.
I love this aspect of Sydney. This is alongside Circular Quay. A familiar route on the way to the Opera House. Since brother Dunc has been with the Ballet tickling the ivories, we have been going regularly to the Opera House to see him accompany the Ballet. Thus, this walk is out thoroughfare. I marvel at how often it rains. "Everytime I go to the city, for sure it rains", I say. But this always enhances the reflections in my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment